Lead poisoning is the result of exposure, either from swallowing, or by inhaling its dust. Some of the ways this could happen include: contaminated air, water or soil; food produce and consumer products, such as old house paint, painted toys and furniture.
What makes lead so hazardous is that it cannot be seen, tasted or smelt, so lead can build up inside of the body over a number of years with no link made between your symptoms and lead exposure.
Employees who manufacture lead containing products are obviously at a very high risk of lead poisoning, but it can also affect those whose job involves welding, rubber manufacture, printing and pain production, amongst many other activities.
Employers in these industries have a legal responsibility to monitor workers who are at a known risk of lead poisoning and other occupational illnesses.
If you are diagnosed with lead poisoning, you may then be able to make a hazardous substances claim against your employer for compensation.