Request a call back Compensation
Start Your Claim
0800 193 8888
Talk to a Solicitor Now

Uninsured or Untraced Driver Claim

A road traffic accident can be traumatising in any case, but when the responsible party turns out to be an uninsured or untraceable driver, things can become even more distressing.

Fortunately, in the UK there are official measures in place to ensure that innocent victims of uninsured drivers or ‘hit and run’ drivers who flee the scene before they can be identified, can still receive compensation.

When there is no insurance company willing to deal with your personal injury claim, we can still help you to get the compensation you deserve by taking your claim to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

What is the Motor Insurers’ Bureau?

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau is an organisation which deals with claims from members of the public who have been injured by an uninsured or untraceable driver. It was established in 1946 to compensate the innocent victims and reduce the impact of uninsured driving in the UK.

Although it is possible for you to contact the MIB directly, most people choose to seek professional legal assistance from a solicitor as the procedure can be quite complicated and time consuming.

Making a claim through MIB

If the responsible driver turns out to be uninsured it’s important that you find out whether they are insured on another vehicle, or if the vehicle itself is insured under someone else’s name.

The insurance companies involved may agree to deal with your claim but this is entirely at their discretion – if they choose not to do so then the only course of action would be to go through the MIB. If the driver or vehicle is not insured at all, then we would contact MIB directly to start your claim.

In the case that a claim has to go through the MIB, then the accident will have had to have occurred on a public road or an area where the public are allowed to drive their vehicles. This is because although there is a legal obligation for drivers to be insured on all vehicles on public roads, they are not obliged to have insurance for private places.

If you are injured by a hit and run driver then it is essential for you to report the incident to the police within 14 days. If this is impossible due to the severity of your injuries, then you must report it as soon as you are reasonably able. Once the incident has been reported, you have up to 3 years to make a claim through the MBI.

You will need to provide as much evidence as you can to prove that the uninsured or untraceable driver was at fault. Evidence can include police reports, statements from witnesses, medical reports, pictures taken at the accident scene and reports as to the extent and costs of any damages to your vehicle.

How to make an Uninsured or Untraced Driver Claim

We pride ourselves on our professional service. We guide our clients through the compensation claims process, sharing key updates with them.

To make a Accident Claim Freephone 0800 193 88 88
Talk to us
0800 193 88 88
Request a call back





Free Legal Advice

No Win No Fee Solicitors

National Coverage

Quality Service Assured

Track your Claim Online

If you can’t find what you’re looking for
0800 193 88 88
Also Find us on :
Are you in the know?
Sign up to our email
Each email is packed full of handy hints and tips and news about our latest services. Make sure you're In The Know and sign up today!
© Walker Prestons Solicitors Limited, a limited company registered in England & Wales under number 07540223
Registered Office: Mount Pleasant, Trinity Street, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 5BN
Walker Prestons Solicitors is Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, SRA no. 563727. VAT Number GB 823 3982 19